Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Arturia Origin: My VA Can Kick Your A's Ass.


The Arturia Origin is a magnificent synthesizer, no two ways about it. It has that rare quality of electronic musical instruments that makes it both simple to play from the beginning, and incredibly deep for the experienced user.
Quick disclaimer, Arturia gave me one, as a result of a film I had made for their Tenth Anniversary Celebration. I’ve been using closed-architecture synthesizers for 20+ years, and I find this synthesizer to be amazing in all respects. Granted, it is pricey. It isn’t for everyone, to be sure. But when I hear about people dropping $2,000-$8,000 for vintage dinosaurs like original Prophet 5s and Jupiter 8s, it’s a bargain. I’ve been using VA synths since the beginning, but this is the first one that actually sounds like the instrument it’s modeling. Aside from that, Arturia are working around the clock to develop and improve the Origin UI and feature set, and are now even offering new banks of presets based on the work of synth pioneers like Keith Emerson, Joe Zawinul, and Herbie Hancock. It’s almost like teaser pricing, as I’ve seen retailers in the US offer this item for as low as $1,800. What’s going to happen with this synth over the next couple is anyone’s guess, but I think it’s destined to be a classic. I love making music with it, and I only wish I had more time to really dig under the hood of this amazing machine and check out its capabilities. If you can afford it, and are already planning on dropping cash on a vintage heap of circuits, consider this one as a viable alternative that will continue to enrich you years into the future. That is, unless you plan on running a museum.


Arturia Official.

No comments: