Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Making Music for Others



The funny thing about making music for hire is that we have to do it for people that are not only musically untrained, but have no idea what they're talking about. The above note was something I picked up from Sound on Sound, but does anybody have stories about composition jobs that have the same sort of wacky parameters at the beginning?


I remember acting in a "mockumentary" one time, and I offered to put some pieces together for underscore, as well as the main theme. The director had told me he wanted some "inspirational" music, so I was thinking of movies like The Natural, which I've never seen but could imagine. I ended up putting together a piece which was major key, with crash cymbals, and all kinds of dynamic excitement, and he ended up using some shitty, low key underscore loops that didn't capture any of the excitement that I was trying to accentuate in my piece. The film sucked anyway, but I'm not bitter. ;)

No comments: